Mark Thomas - The editor and big chief of The Dubrovnik Times. Born in the UK he has been living and working in Dubrovnik since 1998, yes he is one of the rare “old hands.” A unique insight into both British and Croatian life and culture, Mark is often known as just “Englez” or Englishman. He is a traveller, a current affairs freak and a huge AFC Wimbledon fan.
Hollywood A lister Owen Wilson is on vacation in Dubrovnik. Wilson (51) the star of such hits as Night at the Museum, Zoolander and The Grand Budapest Hotel arrived in Dubrovnik for a few days’ break and soaked up the sights of the ancient Old City of Dubrovnik.
This is not Wilson's first visit to Croatia, last year he made a film with Salma Hayek in Split, and this time the reason for coming to Dubrovnik is not for work, but pure enjoyment. Last night he tasted the cuisine and ambiance of the restaurant Above 5 Rooftop and was more than happy to pose with the staff for a photo.
Denmark placed Croatia on their orange "quarantine" list of countries for Covid-19 on Thursday, the Foreign Ministry said, warning not to travel to Croatia unless necessary. Slovakia will put Croatia on the red list from September 2, reports N1.
Apart from Croatia, France, Spain, the Netherlands, Belgium and Malta are also on the Slovak red list, Slovak Pravda reports. Tourists returning from countries on the red list will have to be quarantined for 10 days.
The news was announced by Health Minister Marek Krajci, who said Slovakia has a high number of imported cases, adding that imported cases accounted for about 24 per cent of all cases in August. He emphasized that many cases were imported from the Czech Republic, but also from Croatia, where, as he says, the situation has significantly worsened in recent days.
We think this is just a brilliant idea! A new, Dubrovnik inspired face mask with four beautiful designs, created from the stunning artwork of Dubrovnik born academic painter – Viktor Šerbu. His paintings are renowned throughout the world and with bold colours he brings his beloved Dubrovnik to life.
And now you can protect yourself and show your Dubrovnik colours with these new “Made in Croatia” face masks. With the slogan “Dubrovnik is Art” these beautiful masks won’t only protect you but also be a talking point.
During his recent visit to Dubrovnik the basketball legend, Magic Johnson, was presented with these very masks as a gift from the Dubrovnik Tourist Board.
They are available at a number of outlets through Dubrovnik, including Algerba on the Stradun, Nautika Gift Shop on Pile, Panorama Gift Shop on Srđ, Dubrovacka Kuca gift shop, IT Usuge in Mlini and Perla Adriatica on Ploce.
And The Dubrovnik Times is giving you the chance to win one of these special limited edition face masks in a Facebook competition. All you have to do is comment on the post and you’ll be in with a chance of winning a face mask…and we’re giving two away to double your chances.
Gordana - Goga Knego is a happy six-year-old child. She was born in the 30th week of pregnancy and she weighed 1410 grams and she was 41 cm. The first 4 months of her life were spent in hospital on a ventilator because of respiratory pneumonia. But the real fight begun after that period as her life was in danger several times.
So far in her life Gordana had many therapies with minimal progress until she started with therapies in Polyclinic Glavic in Dubrovnik.
When Dr. Josko Glavic, the owner of the Polyclinic Glavic, found out about Goga he provided 30 weeks of free neurorehabilitation. Goga still attends the therapies at Polyclinic Glavic. And so far the family have managed to pay for those therapies with voluntary contributions.
But for the next cycle of therapies scheduled for this autumn, more precisely from September the family needs 16,000 Euros or around 120,000 Kuna, money that the family doesn’t have.
Unfortunately, Goga's father passed away two years ago in the Dubrovnik Hospital as a result of a ruptured cerebral aneurysm. The family were left alone in a rented apartment on the second floor of a building without an elevator with a total income of 570-610 Euros (4300- 4600 hrk) without a father who worked day and night to get his little girl on her feet.
The family also have to pay for private therapies at home, orthopedic aids and shoes, because the Croatian Health Insurance Institute approves the amount for shoes twice a year, and in one cycle of therapy Goga needs two pairs of shoes worth 168 Euros.
The family have therefore set up a crowdfunding account in order to raise much needed funds for Goga.
Here is a link to the crowdfunding account. And as the family says “Thank you from the bottom of our hearts!!”
Croatian identity cards are to be changed in accordance with the European regulation on strengthening security.
The government has submitted a draft proposal for amendments to the Law on Identity Cards, which will be applied from August next year, in accordance with the regulation of the European Parliament on strengthening the security of the citizens of the Union.
The new ID cards will have a special chip on which the user's biometric data will be stored, i.e the appearance of the face and two fingerprints in digital form. Also, the age threshold for permanent card issuance is raised from 65 to 70 years of age. For those who are less than 70 years old, the card will be issued as now, for a period of five years, RTL reports.
The proposed changes will enable electronic use of the card on mobile devices - citizens will be able to access electronic services and sign electronic documents using mobile phones and tablets, and these services will not be charged, explained Interior Minister Davor Bozinovic at a government session.
The head of the Civil Protection Headquarters of the Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Josko Cebalo, said on Thursday in Dubrovnik that the county headquarters had asked the National Headquarters to introduce necessary epidemiological measures, including limiting the number of people at weddings, celebrations, funerals and other large gatherings.
Cebalo pointed out on this occasion that he was relatively satisfied with the epidemiological situation, and that the consensus was that this was the time to adopt measures to prevent the spread of the infection.
"We expected that with the tourist season and the opening of the economy, the number of people with Covid-19 would increase. What experience has shown us is that larger gatherings related to wedding ceremonies and similar gatherings and various events are also places that are potential hotspots and this infection can spread further in this way," said Cebalo.
The measures requested by the County Headquarters from the National Headquarters are - the number of people at wedding ceremonies is limited to a maximum of 50 people, the number of people at commemorations and funerals is limited to a maximum of 50 people, noting that grieving family members should have close contact, private ceremonies and celebrations can be organized only in a family circle with a maximum of 20 people. Social gatherings (events, performances, masses, rituals, exhibitions, etc.) can be organized with mandatory adherence to all prescribed epidemiological measures. If they are held indoors, it is mandatory to wear face masks and maintain a physical distance of 2 metres, and the number is limited to a maximum of 100 people. The rule of physical distance does not have to be applied between members of the same household or persons who are normally in close contact (maximum five persons).
Organizers of social gatherings and owners of catering facilities are responsible for the implementation of all epidemiological measures related to them and are obliged to perform enhanced supervision of compliance with epidemiological measures.
The proposal calls for the implementation of measures to begin on Monday, August 31, for a period of 14 days, and their possible extension will depend on the epidemiological situation.
Cebalo pointed out that a meeting of all chiefs of county headquarters with the National Staff was held on Monday, and it was decided that the National Staff would make new decisions based on the proposals of the county headquarters.
"I want to emphasize that for this initiative, in addition to the epidemiological profession, we have the support of entrepreneurs and business people, a consensus was reached for such a proposal among the leaders of the Croatian Chamber of Commerce - Dubrovnik County Chamber, representatives of caterers and hoteliers of the City of Dubrovnik", he said.
In the past 24 hours, 304 new cases of Covid-19 were recorded across Croatia, with the Split-Dalmatia County again recording the highest number of cases.
With today’s new Covid-19 cases there are currently 2,240 active cases in Croatia, which include 194 people in hospital and 13 people on a ventilator.
Unfortunately, over the past 24 hours 2 people have died due to the virus.
Since February 25, 2020, when the first case of infection was recorded in Croatia, a total of 9,192 people have been infected with Covid-19, of which 177 have died and 6,595 have recovered.
There are currently 8388 people in self-isolation.
To date, a total of 160,236 people have been tested, of which 2,849 in the last 24 hours, the National Civil Protection Headquarters said on Thursday.
The highest number of new cases once again comes from the Split-Dalmatia County, where over the past 24-hour period 109 new cases have been detected. The City of Zagreb had the second highest number of new cases with 68.
In the last 24 hours, 9 new cases of Covid-19 were recorded in the Dubrovnik-Neretva County. These new cases include 5 women from Dubrovnik, one of whom is the contact of a previously infected case. One male from Dubrovnik, as well as one male from Metković, Kula Norinska and Konavle.
6 people tested positive for coronavirus are currently hospitalized in the Dubrovnik General Hospital.
Since the beginning of the pandemic, 8,927 samples have been sent to Zagreb for analysis.
There are 353 people in self-isolation, and in the last 24 hours no cases of violation of the self-isolation measure have been identified.
The headquarters of the Civil Protection of the Dubrovnik-Neretva County continues to appeal to citizens to adhere to all prescribed measures by the Croatian Institute of Public Health and the Civil Protection Headquarters of the Republic of Croatia.