Mark Thomas - The editor and big chief of The Dubrovnik Times. Born in the UK he has been living and working in Dubrovnik since 1998, yes he is one of the rare “old hands.” A unique insight into both British and Croatian life and culture, Mark is often known as just “Englez” or Englishman. He is a traveller, a current affairs freak and a huge AFC Wimbledon fan.
It was a year of music based movies that dominated the box offices in Croatia in 2018. Two of the top three most watched films at the cinemas across the country in 2018 were based around the music industry. Bohemian Rhapsody sold the most cinema tickets in 2018 (194,497) followed by The Grinch (156,785) and A Star Is Born in third position (132,153 tickets) according to information from Continental Films.
The total number of tickets sold for cinemas up and down Croatia was 4.7 million, which is slightly upon 2017 when 4.6 million were sold.
However, 2018 won’t be remembered as a great year for Croatian movies. Tickets sold for Croatian produced movies were considerably down last year when compared with 2017, this was mainly due to the fact that the number of home-grown films made dropped last year to only seven, whilst in 2017 16 were released. The biggest hit at the box office in 2018 was The Eighth Commissioner (31,828 admissions) followed by Comic sans (14,030 admissions).
Time may not be at your side after you’ve been charged with a DWI (driving with intoxication) offense in Rochester New York, especially if you got involved in an accident. The other party, for instance, may also be working on all possible ways to make sure you’ll get what you deserve under the law.
That in mind, you also need to get legal representation as fast as you can. However, you’ll not know if the person handling your case is capable of protecting your rights without learning how to spot them.
Read on this article as it provides the four signs of a reliable DWI attorney in Rochester NY.
When dealing with a DWI case, it’s essential to hire a lawyer with a valuable experience and reputation. That’s because you want the best person to safeguard your interests especially when your freedom is hanging the balance.
If you’re looking for a strong legal advocacy like the ones offered by The DWI Guys, don’t forget to factor out the attorney’s experience.
A trustworthy DWI attorney has a proven track record of winnings and successes in the field of criminal law. Using their years of experience, they can come up with a solid defense that protects your rights and well-being throughout the litigation.
The legal profession has several prestigious and professional organizations that are dedicated to assessing lawyers’ performances across Rochester NY.
If you’re searching for someone who’s committed to advocate for you in all legal proceedings, look for an attorney who has received plenty of recognition from well-known legal organizations such as Avvo and National Trial Lawyers. That way, you can be sure that the person taking care of your DWI case is trustworthy.
Attorneys are also responsible for defending the rights of those who are arrested or charged with a crime. Although people may see them with contempt, they still play an essential role in winning the cases for their clients. Below are the attributes that you need to look for in an attorney:
● Research Skills – A good DWI lawyer knows how to research other cases as well as circumstances that may help increase your chances of winning. They should familiarize the location’s driving and road-traveling tips to understand the situation.
For example, if you’re caught in Croatia for drunk driving, the lawyer should research and come up with the assemblage of driving tips in Croatia to make sure they don’t miss anything in creating a good defense for you.
● Negotiation Skills – With an overwhelming number of out-of-court settlements, it’s important to find an attorney who can give you the best possible deal for your settlement claim.
● Perseverance – They will do everything in their power to defend you in court. They should get the most out of every opportunity to convince the jury and make sure that all possible appeals are exhausted if you’ll be found guilty.
● Knowledge – Handing a DWI case can be a complicated and confusing process. That’s why it’s important for an attorney to know the intricacies of the DUI/DWI law. They should also have a better understanding of the personalities of the judges presiding the case as well as the opposing prosecutors.
● Integrity – As a person whose task is to defend you, a reasonable attorney should possess a high level of integrity. This means they should be transparent and honest in keeping you informed about any update of your case, as well as the possible outcome of the proceedings.
● Analytical Skills – Make sure the attorney you’ll get should be thinking at all times. They should have a sharp mind and the ability to make quick judgments with regards to negotiating a settlement or challenging the prosecution.
● Communication Skills – Your attorney should be an excellent communicator in and out of the courtroom. Also, their ability to write briefs and other legal documents should also be of high caliber.
● Caring – They shouldn’t only advocate for your rights, but they should also care about you, your family and the legal consequences of the judgment. Remember, a guilty verdict can mean jail time, suspension or revocation of professional licenses, and other effects.
A reliable DWI attorney is someone you can connect and work closely with your case. This means you should have a local lawyer who will handle your situation.
For example, if you’re living in Rochester NY, look for someone who’s also practicing within your locality. That way, you can be sure that your lawyer can understand your needs and viewpoints.
Nobody wants to be charged with a DWI crime. Thinking about the short-term and long-term legal consequences, you may find yourself in a miserable situation. Thus, if you’ve been arrested for driving while intoxicated in Rochester NY, keep these things in mind to ensure you’ve got a reliable attorney.
Having them on your side can improve your chances of getting your life back once you’ve obtained a favorable verdict.
Croatian folklore dancing and NBA basketball are not normally on the same stage, well not even in the same country.
But as part of the halftime show at the NBA game between the New York Knicks and the Indiana Pacers at Madison Square Garden in New York the packed crowd were treated to a show of Croatian folklore dancing, Lindo. Now you don’t see that every day.
Check out the video
The Croatian island of Brac could have direct air connections with the Ukraine this summer according to reports on the specialised website EX-YU Aviation. The airport is in advanced talks with a Ukrainian airline regarding introducing flights from Kiev for this summer season.
The Director of the Brac Airport, Tonci Peovic, commented that “Our goal is to have as many services to our airport as possible and we work hard throughout the year in order to secure flights, especially during the winter.” The name of the actual airline has yet to be released but it is believed that the flight connections will operate in the summer from June to September this year.
With Teresa May’s Brexit deal hanging by a thread after a crushing defeat in the UK parliament yesterday many experts now believe that a “no deal” is closer than ever. On the 29th of March this year one of the founding members of the European Union could topple out of the union without any deal in place, an uncertain future indeed. So what will this political confusion mean for British holidaymakers in 2019 and how could Brexit in whichever guise shape Dubrovnik’s tourism industry.
For the past decade tourists from the UK have been the most numerous in Dubrovnik. With several airlines connecting the UK and Dubrovnik, short flight times, guaranteed sunshine and historic and cultural attractions the city has proved to be a true magnet for the Brits. Combine all this with a country that is still outside of the Eurozone, and therefore the Euro, and you have an affordable, Mediterranean hotspot less than three hours from London.
According to a representative of the Dubrovnik Tourist Board “British tourists have been the most numerous in Dubrovnik for a number of years, with 2018 seeing 186,402 tourist arrivals and 889,002 overnight stays. This represents a 3 percent increase in the number of arrivals and 2 percent in overnight stays.” Clearly British tourists are extremely important for the tourism industry in Dubrovnik, an industry that makes up over 25 percent of the city’s GDP.
But what after Brexit? How will UK tourists change their travel plans to the EU, especially if a no deal Brexit is the only option?
On the practical side, and in spite of the scaremongering, it would appear that planes will still be able to operate between the EU and the UK. The European Commission have stated that even if there is a “no deal” UK airlines will still be able to operate to and from European airports. And the largest travel association in the UK, ABTA, have stated that “regardless of the Brexit outcome planes will still fly between the UK and the EU.” British Airways, EasyJet and Jet2.com, amongst others all fly directly from various UK airports to Dubrovnik. It would appear that these air links are safe after Brexit.
However, after the 29th of March 2019 there could well be extra delays at Dubrovnik Airport for flights arriving from the UK as it is expected that Brits will no longer be able to use the blue EU passage. Instead UK tourists, from 2021, will be forced to apply for a European travel information and authorisation scheme (ETIAS). And for the time being the UK government is advising travellers to renew their passports if they have less than six months left on it. This whole process could put Brits off from actually travelling to the EU this year.
And then there is the financial question. In 2015 the pound had a strong relationship with the Croatian Kuna, around 10.5 Kuna to 1 GBP. However, over the past few years it has continuously fallen and today stands at around 8.3 Kuna to 1 GBP. And the pound is predicted by many financial experts to weaker even further after Brexit. This will seriously affect not only the spending power of UK tourists in Dubrovnik but also could well see more and more Brits deciding to holiday at home this year. "The one difference that holiday-makers have noticed since the referendum is the value of the pound against the euro and dollar. When people change their money now, people are not getting as much for their money as previously. It’s difficult to know what will happen going forward,” commented one financial expert.
And if you were thinking of driving your car from the UK to the European Union you’ll need more documents and paperwork after Brexit. This will also affect Brits looking to rent a car in Dubrovnik after the 29th of March. UK drivers will need to have an international driving permit, which costs around £5.50, as well as Green Card for insurance purposes if Brits are driving their own UK registered car in the European Union. According to information from the website of the UK government “In the event that the UK leaves the EU without a deal, UK drivers may also need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in the EU and EEA.”
With its ancient Old City, crystal clear seas and laid back lifestyle Dubrovnik is often considered a romantic destination. Hundreds of couples from all over the world choose to take their vows in the city every year and the wedding organiser business is a blooming one. And now one of the most popular publications in the UK, The Sun, has placed Dubrovnik on a list of the top 10 wedding destinations in Europe for 2019.
In an article entitled “JUST SAY YES The best places to get married in Europe in 2019 – our top 10 revealed,” The Sun runs down their choices of the perfect place to get hitched in the sunshine this year.
And at the top of the list is Cyprus, which The Sun describes as “The 'island of love', with golden sands and guaranteed sunshine, is a popular destination for getting married overseas that won't cost you the earth.” Yes, the Brits are thinking about the biggest bang for their buck after Brexit. The list also includes traditionally popular destinations for the British such as Tenerife, Ibiza, Malta and Mallorca.
“Can't decide whether to have a city or beach wedding? Dubrovnik offers the best of both worlds with a picturesque old town as well as plenty of beach locations. Choose from luxury hotels, churches, villas or beach clubs - all with spectacular sea views - for your wedding ceremony or reception. Plus, you can expect plenty of blue skies - and just a short flight time from the UK,” writes The Sun about getting married in Dubrovnik.
The Irish were one of the first nationalities to discover Dubrovnik as an ideal wedding destination, however over the years the list of nationalities has grown considerably with more and more Indian, American and French weddings in the city. This latest article in one of the most read websites in the UK could attract more couples from London, Manchester and Liverpool to plump for Dubrovnik this year.
The start of a new relationship can be exciting and tricky at the same time. You feel happy that someone adores you, thinks you’re funny, finds you interesting, and so much more. You’re in the honeymoon phase of sending text messages a lot and smiling while staring on your phone. You want this bliss to last forever; but you’ll have to carefully navigate the course of the new relationship to make it last.
To help you out, here the important dos and don’ts when beginning a new relationship:
1. Do show adequate amount of affection
You might have met because of a common friend, interest, or hobby. Whatever reason behind that fateful acquaintance that led to knowing each other better, it’s undeniable that the start of a new relationship can have mixed signals. When you are in this phase, it’s natural to feel like you’re head over heels but appear hard to get at the same time.
It’s essential that you show your affection towards your significant other because it can bring you two closer, but it’s also crucial that you don’t overdo the amount of affection you give. Here are some ways to show your affection:
● Give them your full attention when they are talking. Don’t use your phone or anything else, and listen to what they are saying intently.
● Make time, even if you are busy. Making time for your partner doesn’t have to be grand. It can be as simple as jogging with him before work or calling him during lunch break.
● Make eye contact. It gives validation to your partner that you are present with him or her in that moment.
● Call them cute names that can be found on this list.
2. Don’t jump into talking about the far future
If you don’t want to scare your partner and make him run away, don’t overthink and talk about the future. This is a new relationship where it’s time for both of you to get to know each other and test your compatibility. Don’t rush them into certain commitments, asking about wanting kids, or coming up with baby names.
Don’t take it personally, but these are just topics that you need to save for a later time. To be on the safe side, the future that you should talk about in the meantime is your next date.
3. Do have realistic expectations
Your life, including your relationship, is not a Hollywood romantic comedy film. Having realistic expectations from your partner instead of comparing them to a fictional character you’ve seen in a movie or read about in a novel will make them appreciate you more. Although he/she might seem to be your prince charming/princess, accept the fact that they are flawed human beings.
There will be times that you’ll be disappointed, but still love them love them anyway. Here are simple ways to have realistic expectations:
● Communicate openly without being judgmental or defensive. Tell your significant other what you want rather than having them guess and feel bad when they don’t get it right.
● Understand that your partner will not always have grand gestures like surprising you with a room full of flowers or a flash mob performance as you stroll by the park. Instead, treasure small but more important gestures like a forehead kiss, a word of encouragement when you’re down, opening the door for you, or staying at the dangerous side of the road.
● Respect each other’s independence and stop hoping that your partner will be texting or calling you every second of the day. Frequent communication is crucial in a relationship, but constant contact can be suffocating.
4. Don’t be a negative person
Negativity can be contagious, and most people don’t want that, especially when beginning a new relationship. Pessimism can come in various forms like not wanting to try something your partner likes, your jealousy when their ex communicates, your insecurities when your partner appreciates another person, and more.
Be open to try new things like food and activities because you’ll never know how good, or undesirable, they can be if you don’t try. At the same time, it's highly possible that you’re not the only person who finds your partner attractive. If you’re becoming pessimistic, here are some suggestions:
● Reflect on your insecurities and identify where they are coming from. If you have had issues in the past or are comparing yourself to someone else, stop indulging those insecurities by accepting your past and bearing in mind that you’re working on a better future.
● Be honest and open with your significant other. If you have feelings of jealousy, tell them specifically what’s bothering you and don’t put the blame on them. Stay calm during the conversation and remember that this is not an argument. In the worse scenario that your jealousy is valid, take steps to resolve the issue. It could be a breakup or working to fix it, but don’t focus on that negative feeling.
● Talk to a close friend whom you can trust. Getting another perspective can be helpful.
● Write a journal. Whenever you start having negative thoughts, write them down on a journal to serve as an outlet to vent and let them go.
New relationships can be the start of magical beginnings. It’s crucial that you put in enough effort to be more affectionate without going overboard so that the relationship can blossom into something beautiful. By following the dos and don’ts provided above, you can do your part in bringing establishing a strong foundation for that new relationship.
Croatia Airlines has posted record passenger numbers for 2018. The national airline carried 2.17 million passengers in 2018, a 2 percent increase over the previous year, which was a record for the company. Breaking down the numbers 1.64 million were passengers travelling on international flights, whilst on domestic flights there were approximately 526,000 passengers.
Croatia Airlines added two new destinations for 2018, Mostar and Dublin. Flights to the Irish capital were based only on a seasonal basis but proved popular quite possibly due to the fact that a large number of Croatians have moved to Ireland in search of work.
Cannot get Dubrovnik location id in module mod_sp_weather. Please also make sure that you have inserted city name.