Croatian Prime Minister, Andrej Plenkovic, appeared on the popular CNN show “Quest Means Business” on Monday to explain the tourism situation in the country during the Covid-19 pandemic.
“We had a lockdown, once the outbreak began, and I think we did extremely well, we protected the health of our citizens. The gradually we opened our borders, this was the end of April beginning of May, so we were able to welcome tourists to Croatia,” said Plenkovic after being asked by the host, Richard Quest, as to whether Croatia was paying the price, in terms of the spike in new Covid-19 cases, for opening to tourists.
Plenkovic explained that there were around 7 million tourists in Croatia this summer and that “tourism was much better than we expected.” And went onto say that overnight stays this summer were around 50 percent of last year’s record breaking numbers.
Did tourism bring more Covid-19 cases to Croatia
“Naturally it was a bit of a calculated risk,” said the Prime Minister. Adding that “Numbers have risen over the last couple of weeks, but what is good is that we still have a very low mortality rate. It is only 5 compared to 100,000, which is much, much lower than any other country in Europe. So we have managed to combine the health of our citizens and the income coming from one of the most important branches of our economy.”
When Quest asked “the risk is growing (as we come into the autumn) and I’m wondering what your next strategy is? The Croatian Prime Minister explained that “We are now focused on the opening of school season.” And added that all measures have been introduced to make sure that pupils are as safe as possible. As far as new cases of Covid-19 are concerned he said that “We are observing the hotspots and then we are adopting tailor-made measures in parts of Croatia.”