On the 18th of February a new Croatian President will be inaugurated and the reign of Kolinda Grabar-Kitarovic as President will come to an end as Zoran Milanovic becomes the fifth president since Croatia became an independent country in 1990.
Grabar-Kitarovic (51) became the fourth Croatian President on the 18th of February 2015 and this week she completed her final foreign trip as the head of state when she visited Slovenia. It has been an extremely busy five years for Grabar-Kitarovic. And according to information provided by the Office of President to N1 she certainly filled her diary during her mandate as President.
World Cup in Russia was a highlight of President's five-year mandate - Photo Wikipedia
Here is a breakdown of exactly what President Kolinda Grabar-Kitarovic did during her time in the top political role in Croatia from February 2015 to February 2020:
- She carried out 51 visits within the Republic of Croatia. Of which 31 were official state visits and 20 working visits.
- She received 105 foreign and senior officials at her office.
- Kolinda Grabar-Kitarovic made foreign 140 trips, travelling on 71 official visits and 69 working trips outside of Croatia.
- She received 14,081 official letters and petitions.
- During her mandate she received 1,930 gifts.
- Her office organised 18 Open Door Days.
- By the end of 2019 she had made 1,706 decisions on awarding decorations to citizens.
- She carried out 234 different programs inside of Croatia.
All the signs from Kolinda Grabar-Kitarovic suggest that she will now, after five years serving as the President, take a break from politics and assume more of a behind the scenes role. There are even suggestions that she will continue her career outside of Croatia. And as she has already held leading positions outside of the country, such as the Croatian ambassador to the United States and the assistant secretary general of NATO for Public Diplomacy, it would come as no surprise that she finds a new role in the US or indeed Canada where she started her diplomatic career.