Mark Thomas - The editor and big chief of The Dubrovnik Times. Born in the UK he has been living and working in Dubrovnik since 1998, yes he is one of the rare “old hands.” A unique insight into both British and Croatian life and culture, Mark is often known as just “Englez” or Englishman. He is a traveller, a current affairs freak and a huge AFC Wimbledon fan.
Nicholas Cage and Pedro Pascal acted on the streets of Cavtat today as the filming of the upcoming movie “The Unbearable Weight of a Massive Talent,” continued.
It wasn’t difficult to spot Cage (56) on set in Cavtat as he wore a striking pink leather jacket, whilst both of the Hollywood actors wore protective face masks when not directly filming.
The set today, after Trsteno yesterday, and the historic Old City of Dubrovnik tomorrow, was the promenade of the picturesque Cavtat and the actors were lucky with the weather as bright sunshine warmed temperatures. The majority of the filming today centred around a vintage silver Porsche, with Cage appearing to jump into the car.
All Covid-19 safety measures were in place and the whole crew and production team all wore face masks on set.
This isn’t Pascal’s first visit to Dubrovnik, or even the first time he has worked in the city, as he portrayed Oberyn Martell in the fourth season of the HBO fantasy series Game of Thrones, and actually shot an iconic fight scene in the city.
Cage plays himself in “The Unbearable weight of Massive Talent,” and the movie is set to be released in the spring of 2021. The movie revolves around a cash-strapped Nicolas Cage who agrees to make a paid appearance at a billionaire super fan's birthday party, but is really an informant for the CIA since the billionaire fan is a drug kingpin and gets cast in a Tarantino movie.
The walls of the historic Old City of Dubrovnik will be the next location for the stars as tomorrow they move from Cavtat to Dubrovnik.
The Minister of Health, Vili Beroš, has announced that further Covid-19 measures are in the pipeline. Over the past 24 hours Croatia saw the biggest number of new cases of Covid-19 with 542 new cases recorded. "We were thinking about limiting public gatherings and wearing masks indoors," revealed Beroš. He also reminded citizens on the importance of wearing a protective mask face.
The director of the Croatian Public Health Institute, Krunoslav Capak, stated that “In the last week we have been discussing new measures, we had meetings with different sectors of catering, new measures will not be adopted today and will be in force tomorrow, we will consider them carefully. We are thinking about prescribing the wearing of masks in all indoor spaces and in open spaces where it is not possible to avoid close contacts.”
He added “By the weekend, we will make new recommendations and new decisions, talk to all partners, and then early next week, new measures will follow. We will do our best to avoid a lockdown, but never say never.”
In the last 24 hours, 542 new cases of Covid-19 were recorded, and the number of active cases in Croatia today is 2,206. The past 24-hour period was by far the worst day for new cases of Covid-19 since the pandemic began. Until today the worst day in terms of new Covid-19 cases was September 3 when 369 cases were recorded. These latest figures not only break the 400 new cases mark in a 24-hour period for the first time but also smash the 500 new cases mark.
There are currently 361 people in hospital across the country and 27 people on ventilators. Unfortunately, one person has passed away in the last 24 hours due to the virus.
Yesterday saw 363 new cases, meaning over 900 new cases in a two-day period.
The Minister of Health, Vili Beroš, said at today’s Government session that we can expect a similar trend in the coming days. He said that today's jump was somewhat expected, given that there are a number of smaller hotspots throughout Croatia, which were mainly caused by family or public gatherings and non-compliance with measures.
“A similar trend may continue in the coming days, especially if the existing measures are not adhered to. That is why we appeal to citizens to adhere to the measures! Ignoring respiratory symptoms is irresponsible behaviour. Even in the case of the mildest respiratory symptoms, it is necessary to act responsibly," the minister warned.
Since February 25, 2020, when the first case of infection was recorded in Croatia, a total of 18,989 people have been infected with Covid-19, of which 310 have died, a total of 16,473 people have recovered, 165 of them in the last 24 hours.
There are currently 10,908 people in self-isolation.
To date, a total of 344,533 people have been tested, of which 5,939 were tested in the last 24 hours.
On Monday Octover 16 Austria Airlines will operate their last flight from Vienna to Zagreb for this year. The airline has announced that all flights on this popular route will be cancelled, reports Croatian Aviation.
There is a chance that Austria Airlines will operate some flights from Vienna to the Croatian capital over the festive period, between Christmas and the New Year, although this will depend on demand for tickets. If the airline doesn’t fly over the holiday period, then the next flight from Vienna looks like being at the end of March 2021.
The cancellation of these flights leaves Zagreb without a direct air connection with Vienna for the first time in years.
Nightclubs and bars across Croatia will have the restriction on their working hours extended. The National Civil Protection Headquarters announced that the measure banning nightclubs and bars working after midnight will be extended until at least October 22.
Whilst bar owners and nightclub owners have been demonstrating up and down the county and have even held actions where they close their doors to the public for an hour their pleas for a normalisation of work have been rejected by the government. As the number of new cases of Covid-19 continues to remain above 300 a day the National Civil Protection Headquarters are determined to use all measure possible to slow down this rate.
This decision of the Headquarters limits the working hours of catering facilities, such as night clubs, night bars, disco bars, cafes and the like, which are allowed to work until midnight.
In the last 24 hours, 363 new cases of Covid-19 were recorded, and the number of active cases in Croatia today is a total of 1,830.
Unfortunately, over the past 24-hour period 5 people have passed away due to the virus, meaning that the death toll in Croatia due to Covid-19 is now 309.
There are currently 344 people in hospital across the country and 26 people on a ventilator.
Since February 25, 2020, when the first case of infection was recorded in Croatia, a total of 18,447 people have been infected with the new coronavirus, of which 309 have died. A total of 16,308 people have made a full recovery, 116 of them in the last 24 hours.
There are currently 9,675 people in self-isolation.
To date, a total of 338,594 people have been tested, of which 5,353 in the last 24 hours.
The warm October sunshine poured down on Srebreno yesterday and the glinting Adriatic looked tempting. The tourist season, such as it was, is almost completely over, with the vast majority of the hotels in Zupa now closed.
Although there are still a lucky few tourists having fun in the October sunshine. “There are a group of tourists who go swimming every day and then sunbathe,” explained a local. The cafes still have some trade but it would appear that most of the coffee drinkers are locals.
Check out our video of Srebreno in the October sunshine. And don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel.
In the Dubrovnik-Neretva County 25 new cases of Covid-19 have been recorded in the last 24 hours, the joint third worst day for new cases of the virus since the pandemic began.
There are currently 63 active cases of the virus across the county.
These new Covid-19 cases include four men and 12 women from Dubrovnik (for two men and 12 women an epidemiological link was established), three men and one woman from Kula Norinska (for all established epidemiological connection), two women from Metković (determined epidemiological connection), and two males and one female who do not reside in the area of the Dubrovnik-eretva County (established epidemiological connection).
On a positive note 17 people have made a full recovery - seven people from Dubrovnik, four from Konavle, two from Kula Norinska, one each from Župa, Metković and Slivno and one person who does not have a residence in our county.
11 people tested positive for coronavirus are hospitalized in the Dubrovnik General Hospital. Since the beginning of the pandemic, 15,153 samples have been analysed.
There are 283 people in self-isolation, and in the last 24 hours no case of violation of the self-isolation measure has been determined.