Mark Thomas - The editor and big chief of The Dubrovnik Times. Born in the UK he has been living and working in Dubrovnik since 1998, yes he is one of the rare “old hands.” A unique insight into both British and Croatian life and culture, Mark is often known as just “Englez” or Englishman. He is a traveller, a current affairs freak and a huge AFC Wimbledon fan.
A new meeting was held in the city administration on Friday on the topic of launching international flights to Dubrovnik in the 2020 season.
At the meeting, the parameters of the marketing campaign launched by airlines, which will be jointly implemented by the City of Dubrovnik, the Dubrovnik Tourist Board and Dubrovnik Airport, were elaborated and agreed upon. All in order to encourage airlines to introduce flights to Dubrovnik, which along with all its attractive factors, has also imposed itself as an epidemiologically safe tourist destination.
All efforts of those involved are focused on mid-June, as the European Union's borders are scheduled to open on 15 June, creating the preconditions for the re-establishment of scheduled international air traffic.
The criteria for co-financing marketing campaigns of airlines will be presented at the session of the Dubrovnik Tourist Board, which should take place next week.
One of the largest dance music festivals in south-east Europe, Ultra Europe in Split, has been cancelled for 2020 and postponed to July next year.
“We have to inform you with heavy hearts that the eighth edition of the ULTRA Europe festival, which was due to take place from the 10th to the 12th of July 2020 at the Park Mladeži stadium in Split, is postponed until the 9th to the 11th of July 2021, due to a Covid-19 pandemic,” stated the organisers for Slobodna Dalmacija.
The current health crisis we are in is unprecedented and for us there is no higher priority than the health, safety and physical well-being of all our fans, as well as all those involved in the production and organization of the festival, added the organisers.
The information will soon be published on all their channels, and media around the world will receive a press release in English and Croatian.
The organisers added that “Purchased tickets for this year's edition will be valid for ULTRA Europe 2021 or ULTRA Europe 2022, depending on your choice, and as an additional benefit, we have provided the amount of €20 that will be added to the festival bracelets for the selected edition. This amount can be used for food, drink or purchase in the official ULTRA store. In addition, we have made it possible to change the name for those who want to leave their tickets to someone else.”
“For all those who do not want to use the already purchased ticket for one of the next two festival editions or the possibility of exchange, we have provided a refund. More information about the selection or replacement of purchased tickets, as well as refunds will be sent to all ticket holders via email,” concluded the organisers.
After a break of a few days the Civil Protection Directorate held a press conference today to announce the latest Covid-19 situation across the country. In the past 24 hours, there have been six new cases of Covid-19 in Croatia and two patients have died, said the director of the Institute of Emergency Medicine Maja Grba Bujević at the press conference in Zagreb.
The total number of people who have been infected with Covid-19 in Croatia has risen to 2,243, and four of the new cases come from Brod-Posavina County and one each from Osijek-Baranja and Split-Dalmatia County. The deceased are two men, one born in 1963, who passed away in the Clinical Hospital Centre in Split, and the other at the Clinic for Infectious Diseases, born in 1977. A total of 99 people have died in Croatia due to Covid-19.
So far, a total of 59,911 people have been tested, of which 1,820 were tested in the last 24 hours.
"There are only 133 active patients in Croatia, which is an extremely good number," said Krunoslav Capak, the director of the Croatian Institute of Public Health.
According to currently available data in the Dubrovnik-Neretva County, no new cases of coronavirus infection have been recorded in the last 24 hours. The remaining findings sent for analysis on Wednesday are negative, and of the 24 samples sent for analysis on Thursday, 13 are negative and the rest are being processed.
Since the beginning of the pandemic, 2,840 samples have been sent to Zagreb for analysis.
As of today, 2 positive patients are hospitalized in the Infectious Diseases Department of the Dubrovnik general Hospital.
A total of 7 citizens are in self-isolation, and in the last 24 hours no violation of the self-isolation measure has been established.
Since the Covid-19 restrictions started to be eased on the 27th of April life in Croatia has slowly but surely returned to some kind of normal. Cafés, restaurants, hotels and hairdressers are back to work and after the third phase of relaxing the measures the number of new cases of Covid-19 across Croatia hasn’t increased, in fact it has continued its downward spiral. One measure that was dealt with special care was the reopening of Croatia’s borders. The European Union extended the travel ban on its external borders until the 15th of June.
“The entry of EU citizens into Croatia has increased. In the period between May 13 and 21, a total of 277,805 people entered, with 145,801 Croatian citizens, and 132,000 foreigners. In the same period, 225,438 passengers left Croatia, an equal ratio of foreigners and Croatian citizens,” commented the Minister of the Interior Davor Bozinovic on Thursday.
Bozinovic added that Croatia’s borders were primarily open for EU citizens but that citizens of other countries could also enter if they meet certain conditions.
In spite of these Covid-19 relaxation measures the actual number of new cases of the virus up and down the country continues to fall. The entire Dubrovnik – Neretva County hasn’t recorded a new cases of Covid-19 for a full two weeks. And even with this new influx of foreign visitors the numbers are still stable.
easyJet will restart flights from June 15, but Croatia and Dubrovnik will have to wait until July for first flights. The UK low-cost airline has announced that from June 15 they will commence with flights on domestic routes and a small number of European destinations.
All flights with easyJet with have increased safety measures, and all passengers will have to wear a facemask whilst on board, and no food will be available on their planes. However, easyJet have said that they will not block the middle seats on planes as had been previously implied. They say that they are working closely with the European Union Aviation Safety Agency and the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, and will follow all their guidelines.
Flights will begin from London Gatwick, Belfast, Edinburgh and Liverpool in the UK, as well as some European destinations such as Paris, Nice, Lyon and Geneva. And the airline has stated that as demand increases and as Covid-19 travel restrictions are eased that they will connect other destinations.
easyJet had connected Dubrovnik with a dozen European destinations, and indeed carried the second most number of passengers to Dubrovnik after Croatia Airlines.
The Civil Protection Headquarters announced today that from May 27, it wants to enable the holding of private and business catering gatherings, including weddings, celebrations and receptions, with new epidemiological recommendations from the Croatian Institute of Public Health.
"After a series of meetings with official representatives of the catering and event industry, an agreement was reached that the Croatian Institute of Public Health will make recommendations with an appropriate epidemiological framework for holding private and business catering gatherings, including weddings, celebrations and receptions," stated the Civil Protection Headquarters. They continued that the goal was to enable the organization of these activities starting from May 27, 2020.
Over the next week, the Institute will publish recommendations that will describe in detail the epidemiological framework for carrying out work in these activities. From 27 May, it is envisaged that 100 visitors will be allowed indoors and 300 outdoors, and further figures will depend on the epidemiological situation.
The number of new Covid-19 cases in the Republic of Croatia in the past 24 hours is 3, which means that the number of people who have contracted the virus since the pandemic began is 2,237.
The new patients are from Osijek - Baranja and Koprivnica - Križevci counties. So far, 58,091 people have been tested, of which 1,070 were tested in the last 24 hours.
The number of hospitalized cases is the same as yesterday, which means that 117 people are in hospital. Out of that, 9 patients are on a ventilator. The total number of deaths due to Covid-19 in Croatia is 97.