Christmas is fast approaching and it’s time to get those delicious festive treats ready for the Christmas table, this Dubrovnik favourite is a must at this festive time – Prikle.
As in each part of Croatia, Dubrovnik has some traditional delicacies that are prepared for the festive season and one of the standard favourites is Prikle. In fact, in other regions of the country this sweet snack has many different names, such as fritule, but we are sticking with Prikle.
The aroma of these tasty delights will be found on every corner of the ancient Old City of Dubrovnik as they are prepared fresh and ready to eat warm. The best way to describe them would be as mini-doughnuts, just without the holes. In fact, one could quite easily remarket them as the doughnut holes. They aren’t usually served with any coverings apart from a generous dose of icing sugar. Although they are often dipped into various sauces, from chocolate to strawberry, but we prefer them au naturel.
They are dead easy to make and go really well as a sweet snack with a mug of steaming coffee.
Magic ingredients for Prikle
500 grams of all-purpose flour
20 grams of fresh yeast
Zest of 1 lemon
2 egg yolks
50 grams of white sugar
20 grams of butter
150-200 mls of warm milk
Pinch of salt
And now the recipe
- Sift the flour into a large bowl and add slowly the egg yolks, salt, sugar, melted butter, lemon zest (finely grated) and mix with your fingers
- Dissolve the yeast along with the milk and two tablespoons of sugar in a large glass and leave to rise in a cool dark place
- Once the yeast has risen then add it into the flour mixture and slowly add milk until you have a soft and pliable dough in your fingers
- Leave this mixture to rest in a cool and dark place for around half an hour
- Now you have the Prikle mix!
- Form small pieces of dough (using a couple of teaspoons is a good tip) and drop them slowly into the hot oil
- Once they are lightly golden brown take them out and drain them on kitchen towel.
Hey presto you have piping hot Prikle! Sprinkle icing sugar over them all and you have a tasty Dubrovnik Christmas treat…it’s as easy as that.