The Dubrovnik Synagogue is the oldest Sephardi synagogue still active in the world today and the second oldest synagogue in Europe after the synagogue in Prague.
Originally formed in 1352 the Dubrovnik Synagogue formed the centre piece of the Jewish community in the city which flourished at the end of the 15th century after many Jews were banished from Spain and Portugal and came to settle in Dubrovnik.
Situated in Žudioska Street the Baroque style synagogue was rebuilt in 1652 and has been preserved in its original form to the present day. With heavy velvet curtains, ancient scrolls and a Moorish carpet from the 13th century the synagogue attracts visitors from all over the world.
The small museum in the synagogue contains many artefacts from throughout the Jewish community's rich and diverse history in Dubrovnik.