Wednesday, 20 October 2021
Time to check your healthcare Time to check your healthcare

Check out the healthcare options for UK nationals after Brexit kicks in

Written by  Nov 04, 2020

Times are changing, the map of the European Union is changing and so are many of the regulations and rights of UK citizens living in the EU. If you are a UK national living in Croatia, you’ll need to be aware of the health options that you have in the future as Brexit kicks in and the transitional period of the UK leaving the European Union.

The UK government has released a whole host of information for UK nationals living in Croatia, from changing your driving licence to your working rights. And one of the most important issues that you’ll need to be on top of is healthcare.

So following is information direct from the UK Government -

If you are living in Croatia or move there permanently before 31 December 2020, you’ll have life-long healthcare rights in Croatia as you do now, provided you remain resident.

State healthcare: S1

If you live in Croatia and receive an exportable UK pension, contribution-based Employment Support Allowance or another exportable benefit, you may currently be entitled to state healthcare paid for by the UK. You must apply for a certificate of entitlement known as an S1 certificate.

Read our guidance on how to get an S1 form.

European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

If you are resident in Croatia, you must not use your EHIC from the UK to access healthcare in Croatia. When you travel from Croatia for a temporary stay in another European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland, you can use an EHIC to access state-provided healthcare in that country.

During that short stay

- the EHIC covers treatment that is medically necessary until your planned return home

- an EHIC is not a replacement for comprehensive travel insurance

- for more information you can read our travel advice pages and advice on foreign travel insurance

There will be no changes to your healthcare access before 31 December 2020. You can also continue to use your EHIC, as you did before, during this time.

If you are a student, read the NHS guidance on healthcare and studying abroad.

You can find English-speaking doctors in Croatia.

You should also check that your prescriptions are legal in Croatia.

Please make sure you are registered for healthcare. For detailed information, you can view our guide on


support the dubrovnik times

The Voice of Dubrovnik


Find us on Facebook