In the last 24 hours, 15 new cases of Covid-19 have been confirmed in Slovenia, the Slovenian government announced on Tuesday, and also announced that they will not remove Croatia from the list of epidemiologically safe countries, at least for the time being.
Thus, the number of total confirmed Covid-19 cases in Slovenia has increased to 1,600 since the beginning of the pandemic, and it is estimated that there are another 101 active cases. So far Slovenia has unfortunately seen 111 deaths from Covid-19.
As Slovenian epidemiologists said at a press conference on the state of coronavirus in Slovenia and the region, the number of infections has recently increased in Croatia and Slovenia, but it is not yet possible to talk about the second wave of the epidemic. According to the Slovenian Institute of Public Health, Croatia is doing well to reduce cases and it is believed that the situation will calm down.
Slovenian spokesperson, Jelko Kacin, said that there were assurances from the Croatian side that Croatia would close nightclubs and discos, and that Slovenia would therefore "not remove Croatia from the green list" of epidemiologically safe countries at this time, thus setting an example to other countries in the region.
However, Kacin also told Slovenian tourists staying in Croatia to be careful and not to go to mass parties and thus take risks, and that the Slovenian side will continue to closely monitor the situation in Croatia.
By the end of June this year, 28 percent of last year's tourist arrivals and 35 percent of overnight stays were realized in Zagreb, and despite a certain recovery trend in June for Zagreb tourism, this is still the most difficult and challenging year, commented Martina Binenfeld, the director of the Zagreb Tourist Board.
"According to all announcements and indicators, this year was supposed to be the best for the tourist industry of Zagreb, but also for the whole of Croatia, but due to this “force majeure” it has become the most difficult and challenging in history," Bienenfeld told Hina. From the beginning of the year to the end of June in Zagreb there were 168 thousand tourists in Zagreb, of which around 110,000 were foreign tourists. In fact, Zagreb is the leader among all destinations in Croatia for the first six months of this year, ahead of Vir, which is in second place.
By markets, in June most overnight stays in Zagreb were realized by domestic tourists, followed by tourists from Italy, Germany, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Serbia, while in June the most tourists in Zagreb were from Italy, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Germany and the USA.
Currently, 57 out of a total of 69 hotels in Zagreb are open, and the majority of tourists are staying in them, about 50 percent, while about 40 percent are in private accommodation.
“We have tried our best to keep the attention of the domestic and world public on Zagreb, its attractions and offers, by organizing online broadcasts and live concerts in city locations, and we also created online campaigns "From Zagreb's windows" and #ZagrebLovesYou,” added Bienenfeld.
For the continuation of this year, she says that it is difficult to predict more concretely how tourism in Zagreb and beyond will take place, but she believes that with a good epidemiological situation, traffic will also slowly grow.
From tomorrow, 1st of July, the number of planes flying to Dubrovnik will increase – Dubrovacki vjesnik reports.
On Wednesday, the landing of nine planes was announced, of which only two are domestic, from Zagreb, unlike today when four planes arrive to the Airport at Cilipi, two of which are from Zagreb and one from Rijeka. Today, only one flight is international, the one from Brussels.
For the weekend, there will be even more traffic at the Dubrovnik Airport, so on Saturday as many as 14 planes will land. In the coming days, on average, ten planes will land at Dubrovnik airport daily, mostly international flights, and on weekends their number will be even higher.
In the past week in the area of Police Administration of the Dubrovnik-Neretva County there were 12 traffic accidents, one with death case, three persons got heavily injured and three got light injuries. There were five traffic accidents with material damage.
By carrying out traffic control measures, police officers have taken 780 repressive measures against the perpetrators of traffic offenses, out of which 485 measures taken due to speeding, 28 measures due to improper overtaking, 44 measures for improper stop and parking, 59 measures because of non-use of the seat belt, 23 measures against drivers who were driving the vehicle under the influence of alcohol and 32 measures because of using mobile phone while driving.
The end of the Covid-19 pandemic is not even close yet, World Health Organization (WHO) leader, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, told a news conference on Monday.
Tedros noted that, six months after China first alerted the WHO to a new respiratory infection, a total of 10,000,000 cases of infection and 500,000 deaths from Covid-19 has been reached.
"Most people are still susceptible to infection. The virus still has a lot of room to spread," he warned.
"We all want this to end. We all want to get on with our lives. But the harsh reality is that this is not even close to the end yet. Although many countries have made some progress, the global pandemic is actually accelerating," added Ghebreyesus.
WHO emergency program leader Mike Ryan said huge progress has been made in finding a safe and effective vaccine against Covid-19, but that there is no guarantee yet that these efforts will be successful.
Meanwhile, countries can fight the spread of the infection by testing, isolating confirmed cases and monitoring their contacts, Ryan said. He particularly highlighted the “comprehensive, persistent strategies” of Japan, South Korea and Germany in the fight against the infection.
The WHO plans to convene a meeting this week to assess progress in the fight against Covid-19, Tedros said. He added that the WHO is sending an expert group next week to investigate the source of the new virus.
The United States, the most vocal critic of the WHO, who also announced their departure from the organization, has called for an investigation into the origin of the coronavirus. US President Donald Trump and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo claimed that the virus originated from a Chinese laboratory, although they have yet to present any hard evidence to back up their claims. China strongly rejects such claims.
In the last 24 hours, no new cases of Covid-19 infection have been recorded in the Dubrovnik-Neretva County. Since the beginning of the pandemic, 3,678 samples have been sent for analysis.
In the Dubrovnik-Neretva County, there are currently 162 people in self-isolation. Since the beginning of the pandemic, a total of 38 cases of self-isolation violations have been identified.
The headquarters of the continues to appeal to citizens to adhere to all prescribed measures by the Croatian Institute of Public Health and the Civil Protection Headquarters of the Republic of Croatia.
In the last 24 hours, 34 new cases of Covid-19 have been recorded, so the number of currently active cases in Croatia has risen to 463.
In total 65 people are currently being treated, with one patient on a ventilator. And in the last 24 hours, 730 people were tested, the announced the Civil Protection National Headquarters.
Since February 25, 2020, when the first case of Covid-19 infection was recorded in Croatia, a total of 2,725 people have been infected with coronavirus, of which 34 were in the last 24 hours.
In Croatia 2,155 people have recovered, and one hundred and seven people have died so far.
So far, 78,183 people have been tested, of which 730 were tested in the last 24 hours.
Croatian Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Davor Bozinovic and US Ambassador W. Robert Kohorst signed a key co-operation agreement aimed at boosting air safety. The agreement enables the deployment of federal flight attendants on flights between Croatia and the United States. Escorts have a key role to play in preventing terrorism and other security threats in civil aviation. The conclusion of this agreement is also a key step in Croatia's efforts to join the Visa Waiver Program.
The Federal Flight Followers Service is the main law enforcement body, within the Travel Safety Agency, that negotiated this agreement with the Croatian Ministry of the Interior. Air escorts, also known worldwide as flight safety officers, are trained to respond to and deal with any criminal activity or other emergency on an aircraft. In accordance with international law, flight safety officers as security escorts provide the last line of defense in the aircraft in the fight against global terrorism and other international security threats.
This agreement is an important precondition for Croatia's accession to the Visa Waiver Program, which allows eligible citizens to travel to the United States for business or tourist purposes for up to 90 days without a visa.
After signing the Agreement on Sending Flight Followers, Bozinovic reminded that the fulfillment of security conditions for the inclusion of the Republic of Croatia in the Visa Waiver Program was intensified after the signing of the Implementing Agreement to the Agreement on Prevention and Fight against Serious Crime in January 2018 in Washington. During that visit, the first meeting was held at the Terrorist Control Center, with which a Memorandum of Cooperation was concluded, in August 2019 in Dubrovnik. Cooperation with the Attorney General has also been significantly intensified, including through the signing of the Extradition Treaty and the Mutual Legal Assistance Agreement, and a particularly significant step forward has been made in cooperation with US agencies such as the DEA and the FBI.
At the end of the negotiations are several technical acts that will enable the exchange of data on security suspects through the available information systems, the connection of which is being worked on intensively. The exchange of data on air passengers is also of great importance in strengthening bilateral security cooperation. In this field, the Republic of Croatia has made a significant step forward in the last few months in order to ensure the exchange of data with most airlines that transport over 90 percent of passengers to the Republic of Croatia by the end of this year. Bozinovic thanked the US Ambassador Cohort.
At the signing ceremony, in accordance with the epidemiological recommendations, Kohorst praised Minister Bozinovic for his commitment to the successful conclusion of this Agreement and to Croatia, which is a security partner in all areas.
Kohorst added: -With the reintroduction of direct flights from the United States last year for the first time since Croatia's independence and Croatia's growing popularity as a tourist destination among Americans, we expect more passengers between our two countries. This agreement provides an additional level of security to ensure that all persons traveling between the United States and Croatia are safe.
The wooden scaffolding has been completely removed from the Orlando's Column, and monitoring of the damage continues along with a protective fence that will be erected. After approximately one year of additional monitoring, a final decision on the restoration model will be made.
This is the perfect time to learn a bit more about this great statue. Orlando's Column is one of the most famous monuments in Dubrovnik, situated on the amazing location - in front of the Saint Blaise's Church. It was made by Bonino di Jacopo from Milan with the help of the local master Antun Raguseo. The idea to erect the Column was born in 1417, and its construction started two years later. On 13th of May 1519, the Minor Council entrusted the noblemen, senators Lujo Gozze and Zore Palmota, with the task to place Orlando's Column on the main square in front of Saint Blaise's Church.
During the history of Dubrovnik the Orlando's Column had a multi-faceted role and symbolism. The column represents the character of a pale knight. The knight, according to legend, was the nephew of the Spanish King Charles, who died in 778 on his way back to Spain. It was believed that Orlando had supernatural powers and a naval victory over the Saracene pirate Spucento was attributed to Orlando and his special forces.
Another legend about the origins of the column dates from the 15th century. The legend states that the column was installed at the time when Sigismund protected Dubrovnik. Sigismund was a famous Hungarian, Czech and later German king. During his life the king was famous for erecting Orlando columns all across the Brandeburg County.
Orlando’s stone column served the city of Dubrovnik as a flag carrier, symbol of freedom and as a metaphor for trade. His forearm is 51.2 centimeters long and this was for centuries the standard Dubrovnik measurement for fabric. For many centuries Dubrovnik merchants stood in front of the column measuring and cutting fabric. Orlando used to hold his sword in the direction of the Ottoman Empire as a symbol of readiness to fight for the freedom and independence of the Republic of Dubrovnik. Today the column is turned to Sponza Palace with his back to the church of Saint Blaise.
However, the column has been damaged during the years and has gone through numerous reconstructions. It's been under monitoring for some time now, before it goes under restoration.
The Dubrovnik-Neretva County Tourist Board, the Dubrovnik City Tourist Board and the Ston Municipality Tourist Board hosted representatives of 37 Slovak tourist agencies on a tour of Dubrovnik and Ston on Sunday, June 28th.
The Slovak agency Aquamarin, owned by Eva Samoborska, a longtime journalist and fan of Croatia, organized with the help of Tourist Boards the arrival of a large number of representatives of Slovak agencies in the Dubrovnik-Neretva County.
Most of the participants in the study trip have never been to Croatia, and in their programs they offer mainly Greece, Bulgaria and Turkey. By taking them on tour, Tourist Boards have shown them that Croatia is a safe destination before July 1st, when the sale of tours to Croatia should start.