This imposing and spectacularly ornate Jesuit Church is located in the Ruđer Bošković Square at the top of the famous baroque staircase that was modelled on the Spanish Steps in Rome.
Constructed between 1667 and 1725 by the Italian architect Andrea Pozzo is takes its appearance from the mother church of the Society of Jesuit in Rome, the Church of the Gesù.
Dominating the skyline the St. Ignatius Church was completed in 1725 and was partially funded by Jesuits from a noble Dubrovnik family. Significant pieces of art that decorate this sacral building were created by Gaetano Garcia, an Italian Baroque painter originally from Spain.
The actual church is a single-nave construction with side chapels and a soaring ceiling. The walls are decorated with Baroque frescoes and show the life of St. Ignatius de Loyola. Interestingly the church bell towers holds the oldest bell in the whole city, it was cast in 1355.